As an example of the No. 9 1/2 pattern standard angle block plane, they don’t get much better. This No. 9 1/2 Deluxe has a cast and polished bronze cap, which adds a little more weight behind the cutter. The cap makes the tool feel very good in the hand. The blade is used bevel-up bedded at 20°, giving the plane all-round performance. All Rider planes are good quality and suitable for home or professional site or bench use.
The main casting is ductile iron chosen for its high strength and impact resistance. It has an adjustable mouth for fine or coarser work. The plane features micro depth adjustment and lateral blade control to achieve the thinnest of shavings.
The sole is 155 mm (6-1/8″) long with a 41 mm (1.5/8″) wide blade. The sole of the plane is flat and accurate to +/- 0.04 mm. Weighing 1kg (2lb 3oz), it is a real workhorse of a plane.
Rider planes only require the bare minimum of initial preparation. Each blade is oil quenched, high carbon spring steel, hardened and tempered to HRC 63.
Every plane undergoes careful inspection in Axminster to ensure consistent quality. We are confident that Rider planes represent a good standard in traditional, quality plane manufacture and great value.
- A real workhorse, indispensable for many trimming jobs
- Cast and polished solid bronze cap, adds weight and feel
- Accurately machined cast iron body, solid brass fittings,
- Adjustable mouth, narrow for fine work, wide for thicker shavings
- 41mm wide blade with 20° blade bed angle
- Thick, O1 steel blade, minimises risk of chatter